Dental crowns are one of the most commonly-used forms of dental restoration, but many do not fully understand what a crown is or how they work. When teeth are badly damaged, cracked, broken, or misshapen, crowns can resolve the issue, restoring the appearance, shape, and alignment of a damaged tooth. And now, thanks to CEREC, it can all be done in just one dental visit.
Smile Dental Group of East Palmdale, CA now proudly offers same-day dental crowns using CEREC (Chairside Economic Restorations of Esthetic Ceramics) technology to repair damaged teeth.
How Do Dental Crowns Work?
Crowns are prosthetic teeth placed over the top of a damaged tooth to protect the sensitive tissue inside. The damaged tooth must first be prepared by having the enamel removed so that the crown is not overly large and change the shape of the patient’s mouth. Then, the crown is cemented over top of the broken tooth, where it prevents the remainder of the natural tooth from breaking apart.
Dental crowns are fabricated out of durable materials such as porcelain, resin, or a composite material that is strong enough to be used for chewing. Once the crown has been cemented over the tooth, it becomes part of the tooth.
When Are Dental Crowns Used?
A dental crown may be recommended or placed for a wide range of reasons:
- After a root canal
- Final restoration of a dental implant
- Discolored tooth
- Misshapen tooth
- Damaged tooth
- Decayed tooth
Same-Day Dental Crowns in East Palmdale, CA
Dental crowns are custom-made with cutting edge technology to fit each patient’s teeth. In the past, dental crowns had to be designed in a lab. Now, Smile Dental Group offers same day dental crowns, in which digital images are taken of your mouth and used to create a lifelike crown for your tooth. This technology is called CEREC and it offers several key benefits:
- Digital impressions provide more accurate treatment planning and less discomfort than traditional methods like taking molds.
- 3-D imagery creates multi-dimensional images of the mouth, allowing the dentist to design the restoration with precision.
- CEREC creates high-quality porcelain and zirconia dental crowns for long-lasting, comfortable, and visually pleasing results.
- Restorations can be completed in a single office visit, eliminating the need for uncomfortable temporary crowns or prolonging the process with multiple office visits
Schedule a Consultation
If you have a damaged tooth, you don’t have to live with the discomfort and embarrassment anymore. Dental crowns, created with CEREC technology, offer you a more comfortable and healthy smile in only one office visit to our East Palmdale, CA office. Schedule a complimentary consultation with Smile Dental Group online or call us at (661) 947-9990 today.